Quinta de S. João Batista has a history full of noble and religious events that led to several changes of ownership over the years. Originally known as Quinta de Caniços, the property belonged to the Fróis family before being left to a Jesuit priest. After the expulsion of the Jesuits, the property passed to the State and, later, to the noble family of the Counts of Sam Paio.
Quinta de Caniços was mainly used for the production of horses, mules and oxen for export, and was sold in 1898 to the wealthy owner João Batista de Macedo.
João Batista de Macedo was a successful merchant in Africa before moving to the Torres Novas region of Portugal, where he purchased Quinta de Caniços and renamed it Quinta de S. João Batista.
He rebuilt much of the property and the existing house is a colonial construction similar to the one he had in São Tomé.
Ownership passed to João Batista's widow and her daughters upon his death in 1904.
Today, the Quinta's garden is a mix of African and Portuguese colonial flora, with many exotic trees.
Manor House of Quinta São João Batista
It has a total area of 145 Ha, of which 97.40 Ha are vineyards. It is located in the heart of the “Bairro” the best of the 3 “sub-regions” of the Tagus, close to the Paul do Boquilobo Nature Reserve.
The Microclimate, influenced by the proximity of the Natural Reserve as well as the proximity of the Almonda River, helps to regulate the temperature and humidity of the soil, creating ideal conditions for growing grapes. High relative humidities minimize the effect of high summer temperatures.
Furthermore, the region's soil is rich in nutrients, which allows the grapes to ripen well and results in wines with complex flavors and intense aromas. Low fertility clay loam soils (*MO content ˂ 1.3%)
The productions are balanced and vary between (8,000 to 12,000 Kg/ha) year.
The winemaking center is current, functional and in an excellent location, using sustainable and environmentally friendly agricultural methods (ECO Friendly).